Fall has arrived and sweater weather is back in full force! It’s easy to forget about warmer days and the comfort of outdoor living.
However, for those who have visions of spending next season enjoying their newly renovated space, planning needs to start now! Follow along for details about the Design, Permitting and Construction process in developing a proper outdoor space. Getting it done right takes more time than most people expect:
Schematic Design: 3-5 weeks
- This process covers a ton quickly. We will explore everything from design options; finishes, materials and product selection as well as itemized pricing to best understand cost and value.
- Schematic Design typically takes between 3-5 weeks depending on the scope of work and the availability of the client to review and approve the design.
- By the end of this process, you’ll have a design that meets your vision and needs as well as itemized pricing of all project components and systems.
Architectural, Engineering & Permitting: 6 Weeks to 6 Months
- This process is very dependent on the property and project scope so it’s important to plan ahead!
- If your project is in a Landmark District or if it requires special approval, you’ll need to prepare for additional timing.
- Once a Schematic Design has been completed our Architect will develop the necessary documents for engineering and city review.
- The duration of the city’s permit review and approval process can be influenced by the experience level of the city employees who are assigned to the project.
- We have seen this process take anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months.
Construction & Finishes: 5-15 weeks
- The project has received the building permit. The construction proposal has been approved and the construction deposit received. Let’s start the transformation!
- Our team will immediately get your project materials shipped to our 10,000 square foot warehouse. We will also assign your construction team including a dedicated project manager.
- Our team will typically be on-site to begin work within two (2) weeks of receiving the construction deposit.
- Small projects such as decking, shade structure installs or landscaping can be completed in as little as 1-2 weeks!
- More involved projects incorporating features with longer lead times and fabrication typically range from 6-15 weeks depending on scope. Your project manager will handle the sequencing of construction and all of the involved trades.
To summarize, some small projects can get completed within just a month, but the majority of projects that require engineering & permits will average about 4-5 months from Schematic Design to a finished project. Larger, more complex projects may require 8-9 months from start to finish.
Each project and client is unique. Please reach out today to speak with our Design team to better understand what to expect for your space and how we can best fit in. To maximize the enjoyment of your investment in outdoor living, It’s best to begin the design now! Design your space today – enjoy it this Spring!